The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Monday, August 08, 2011

Turtles, Sea Shells and the Beach


After reading the post from Cheri, of Quilts by Cheri, regarding her tortoise, it caused me to remember some fond memories, and too odd in that I had been going through some boxes and stuff and found this plate someone had given me and all the sea shells I had collected from the beach back in Texas just last week.
Jim and my footprints in the sand.  I was born on a island, sand between my toes.  As a little girl I would make my father pull over whenever we saw a turtle in the road so it wouldn't get smushed.  He would pull the car over and run out and grab the turtle.  Bring it home and would have it for awhile until, of course it could crawl through the fence, never to be seen again.  But next time on the road,  see a turtle, pull over and bring it home. 


So when I moved back to the island to go to school as an adult, I had those tiny turtles that are banned now, carry some sort of disease.  Kept them in several different aquariums for years.  I've just always loved turtles, no reason why.  The beginning of my own wildlife adventure, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories. Growing up around the bay and ocean, I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful memories *S* I always wanted one of those little turtles from the dime-store but Mom just would not go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminds me of my first trip back to Missouri and everytime i saw a turtle in the road would make greg stop the car so i could move it off to the side, luckily none were snapping turtles, which i found out in later visits are pretty nasty....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.