The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Friday, October 20, 2006

Sable

Sable was my first Burmese, I bought him when we were living in Texas. Jim's cousin had one and I just fell in love with the breed, their colors and their intelligence. No one told me though, that they could scream like a two year old, that I had to get use to. He would come up to me and scream to eat, scream to be let out and then lovingly sleep with me like a little human, head on the pillow with a blanket over him. Burmese are very cold natured. While living in Texas, I went to Colorado by myself to work while Jim stayed behind, I took Sable with me for companionship. He loved to ride in the car to a limit so the vet gave me valium to give him so he could endure the long ride, I just ended up with a drunk cat on my hands that staggered from the front to the back seat, that trip was a nightmare.

So we moved to Montana from Texas and brought five cats with us, Sable like Mickey became lost after a week, we were sure he had acclimated himself to the area before letting him out, but day after day we looked for him. Ads in the paper and on the 7th day a fisherman called and said he saw this dark brown cat at the river trying to catch fish and hiding out in a cave. This wonderful man came to our house and took Jim to where he had last seen Sable, and thank God, there he was, almost wild, with a wound on his backside from a predator, but once he got home, he returned to normal except he became fearless. If he wanted outside and I wouldn't let him, he would sneak thru a screen window and leap off the second floor roof. He would take on a fox and run it off the property, he showed that burled up look cats have only one time when he was nose to nose with a bear thru the screen door.

He was 15 years old when he became sick with kidney failure, I gave him fluid IV's under the skin twice a day, once before I went to work and then when I got home, Jim even learned to do it, kept his kidneys going for a year. Sable would sit in my lap while the fluids ran and then off like the wind until the next time.

Sable loved our other Maine Coon who died from diabetes, I actually watched him mourn this loss, and I still mourn my loss of Sable to this day, he was so special and so unique. Don't we think that of all our pets?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every pet is unique. They have their special unique ways to behave and the are a dear member of the family. All my cats have stayed inside when the night comes, they are not allowed outside alone. One abysinian cat I once had was very special. I told him every night to go and bring the other cats home (I had two other cats at that time). He went outside and not long after he came home with the two other cats. Thats odd isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pets are wonderful -- they really do become members of the family. Sable is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.