The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Working on Bird Dance

 
After much anticipation my kit for Bird Dance arrived a few weeks ago.
 
 
The first three blocks that I'm stitching are the
Ocean Front Blue Birds.
 

 
All of these birds use the same blue wools.
The background applique fabrics are stitched first.
The wool applique for the birds is added and then all the embellishments.
Rick-rack stitched over the scalloped fabric and French knots added.
I still need to add the beak which is stitched with a woven picot stitch.

 
Lots of drizzle stitches are added to this bird.
The applique fabric has seed stitches added
with more to be added along the length of the fabric.
A velvet ribbon will be added, too along the edge.
Needs his beak and crown using the woven picot.
 
 
The appliqued fabric will have circles stitched with a specialty thread.
A nice variegated ribbon added to the breast using the closed fly stitch.
Needs his beak.
 
This is going to be such a fun and challenging project as are all
of Sue's projects.



9 comments:

  1. Nancy, You are remarkable!! What a beautiful start you have already on Sue Spargo's Bird Dance blocks. Always such fun to follow your blog. I look forward to seeing how this new quilt develops.
    You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be a bright and beautiful quilt, Nancy. Lots of detail to make it oh-so-interesting to look at. (I feel a little sorry for those poor birds without their beaks just now....)
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very colorful, such a difference from your last quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what fun! You make me want to dig out my wool and learn more stitches. I look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to be lovely! Are you affected much by the smoke from the Yellowstone fires? I was down in Emigrant recently, saw the sign for Miner and thought of you. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear nancy ,what a fun project,looking foreward to see more birds,susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quilt and it will be so fun to work on.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, I'm working on them also, I tend yo do most of the background embellishments first. I've also put the wool beaks down and use that as a guid for my picot stiches.

    I'm about halfway through the birds and need to get back at them but our 30C weather hasn't made me want to do a lot of wool stitching.

    Have fun with these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ThIs looks like a really fun quilt. So I suppose everything you need is in thereference, even the embroidery yarn?
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.