The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Monday, February 19, 2007

Spider

For years, and I mean years, I have kept a calendar with dates that mean something to me, birthdays of course, but also anniversaries of deaths, my parents, brother and even my pets. Probably seems morbid, but I do.

This sweet picture is of Spider, taken back in Texas, she died 26 years ago. Her sweet face won me a photography award, but her life and how she came to us is the real story.

I started my car one cold morning and heard a horrible noise and saw this stray kitten run out from under the car, couldn't find her. Days later our big black male cat named Charlie, he also lived with our neighbors across the street, we kind of shared him, he came into the garage carrying this kitten in his mouth, she was all torn up, must have gotten caught in the fan blade from the car. Her pelvis looked like it was broken. I rushed her to the vet and they performed surgery on her. We brought her home and she mended, but she had to take medicine so she could have a normal bowel movement since her pelvis was now misshapened. She lived a wonder life, we enjoyed her sweet nature and I think about her now, even after 26 years.

4 comments:

  1. How cute spider was :O)... pets are so wonderful and they never leave us, really, their love is always so fresh and the love we feel for them... just a thought away and its just as strong as when they were living with us :O).....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nancy - she does have a sweet face, but her story is just so sad. I'm so glad Charlie brought her to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you remember Spider. I have lost pets along the road of life. They add so much joy and unconditional love to our lives. It is only right to remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They really do leave a print on our hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.