The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday

I hate that term, the media or whoever thinks of these things seems to think every day, every thing needs a label. When I was younger, the friday after Thanksgiving, was just that, the friday after Thanksgiving, a time to start thinking about decorating for Christmas, spend more time with visiting relatives, but there certainly wasn't this advertising frenzy, doors open at 5 am for sales. We are being lead by our pocketbooks to join each other at 5 am to save, to buy, to save and perhaps buy just a little more than we should.

"Black Friday", personally instead of it reflecting a financial term as in the black, making money, it reminds me of death and shouldn't be used to reflect prosperity.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:53 PM

    I feel the same way, I hate being manipulated, so I haven't shopped on the day after Thanksgiving for quite a few years. It's a great day to stay home and avoid all the traffic and insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently heard the term for the first time, and I agree that it sounded like something dreadful and something I would want to avoid. Like a plague or something. I do like the big sales, and if I want something big that is really inexpensive - like a tv, I might get up early and get it. I didn't have any such urge this year, so I stayed home all day. Still haven't started doing any shopping.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.