The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Real

Jim is and has been trying to come to terms with the changes in his life, appearance, personality. My boss brought me this quote from the funeral she attended of a young friend who died tragically last week. It's from the Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams, a wonderful children's story that brought me to tears and wish only that Jim could bring the meaning of this small part of the story to his heart.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the skin horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become real. It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.

8 comments:

  1. Great quotation. I'm tucking this away.What Profoundness....You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last line is very timely for me. Thank you for taking the time to post this quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, so true. Take care of yourselves...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful quote. I wanted to let you know I've found your blog and think it's wonderful and real. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, sorry to hear life has been hard for you guys lately. What a lovely saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a wonderful post and story. I read about stiff man syndrome on the internet after reading your blog, and lo and behold had a patient with this the other day. It is so very rare! So, you help more people than you realize!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That brings tears to my eyes. Some people are never lucky enough to become "Real". You don't know me, but I come to your blog often to see how you are doing. Your inspire me and I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.