The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Sunday, June 05, 2016

My Progress...Harriet Power's Pictorial Quilt

 
The original Pictorial Quilt, courtesy of
The Boston Museum of Fine Arts

 
I finished the third block.
This block depicts the serpent lifted up by Moses
 and women bringing their children to look upon it to be healed.


Stitching on the fourth block which has much more applique.
This block depicts Adam and Eve in the garden.
Adam's rib by which Eve was made.
The sun and the moon.
God's all seeing eye and
God's merciful hand.
 

 
The Pattern Book from the Museum of Fine Arts that
I'm using to make the quilt.
 

 
I plan to buy this book. It documents the history of Harriet
and her Bible Quilt along with her Pictorial Quilt. 
I was surprised to learn that Harriet stitched her applique down with
a sewing machine. 

6 comments:

  1. I definitely want to make this one and have the pattern now, but those tiny points intimidate me.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you're making this, Nancy. I have a picture of this in my "I Wanna Do That Some Day" scrapbook. I didn't know there was a pattern book for it. It will be so fun to follow along with you on this one. Happy stitchin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my all time favorite quilts. Yours is sensational. You will enjoy Kyra's book. Please let me know if you cannot find a copy and I will send you mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have found fabrics for the applique that are much like the original. Well done, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to watch you progress! I've admired this quilt for years...
    Blessings Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom bought a reproduction of the H Power's quilt complete with pillow shams and throw rug (I believe) from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I don't know how long ago she bought it, but it is now at my house. I could not let that one get away even though she did not make it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.